Saturday, August 5, 2006

So - left the henna in REALLY long this time - I stayed up late last night, and slept in late this morning - rinsed it out (came out like a dream again), and let it dry. I oiled my hair with SS oil and QHS oil, and put a little HH in it. I wanted to see how my hair would act WITHOUT the post-henna conditioning that I did last time.

After about 4 hours, I realized that um, no - I need to condition. My hair wasn't dry so much, as it was - tangly. I had knots all over the place - something that my hair DEFINITELY didn't do last time. So, I whipped up a quick mix of 2pts conditioner, one part honey, and heaped it in my head. I figure that after two hours, my hair should be good to go.

So - this has DEFINITELY let me know that I can't do WO until I finish my henna cycle - because the henna - and true, I DID use a bit of the leftover high-acid henna from last time, so that might make a difference - but the henna is strong enough to strip my hair of it's oils, so - I'll have to wait. Not that I mind, because I'm only washing/conditioning my hair once a week still - but, anyhow - WO will have to be put on hold.

The color - it's definitely darker, and my roots are starting to get a 'glow' almost. Still DEFINITELY not red - but - warmer, if anything. I have noticed some hairs at the very front that SEEM to be red all the way to the root - but I doubt that - unless I have some hairs that haven't grown at all since I dyed my hair, and were still bleached/red to the root.

I got my Omega 3-6-9 and MSM in the mail on Friday - I haven't used either yet- I'm considering using them only Mon-Fri, and just taking my regular vitamin on S/S. I opened the MSM powder and took a sniff - I've heard people say that it was yack-worthy - but it actually smelled - yummy. Protien powder like. I still didn't try it, but at least it doesn't SMELL bad. I didn't take a look at the size of the O369 pills, but - ugh. I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

So - let's review.
1) Encouraging Growth:
Henna - to keep the scalp healthy.
Oils - to stimulate and condition the scalp.
Vitamins - Daily, MSM, O369

2) Retaining Length
Henna - to make the ends stronger and smoother
Twists - to protect the ends
Daily Leave-In - to keep the damaged ends moisturized.

3) Reducing Shedding
Henna - to improve the condition of the scalp
Vitamins - to strengthen the follicles.
Oils - SS Oil is supposed to help stop shedding - so I'm excited about that.

I need to look up what rosemary oil is supposed to be good for in hair. For some reason, I think it helps stop shedding, and if that's the case, I'll add a few more drops of it to the SS oil.

One downside to using honey in my conditioner - it drips on my neck and makes it sticky. One upside - I smell like clover all week. Ooooooohhh - I should put some ylang-ylang in it next time - I bet that would smell DIVINE.


Hmmm..... I'm supposed to be going camping next weekend. I should - since I have the henna pre-mixed - be able to henna, condition, and twist, all in the same day - Sunday, it would have to be. I mean - I KNOW that I'm going to have to retwist my hair at the very least - so why not add a couple of extra hours, and henna on schedule? I'll think about it - and see what my hair looks like - maybe I won't have to retwist it.


*sighs* Conditioner's been in for one hour. My scalp is tingling - it's a good feeling - like tiny tapdancers in my roots.

No comments: