Thursday, May 27, 1999

The tale of The Trio

Hm. Okay.. I'm about to go into some history... I haven't talked much about me & Nee & MJW...and for some reason I think I should. Perhaps just to give our history a semi solid place in my mind.

They called us The Trio, becuase if you saw one, the other two were either close behind or that one knew where they were. We were the BEST of friends...and some folx thought we were sleeping together too. But we weren't..were were just tight..brilliant and oh so cool.

It was the summer of 92, the summer after my freshman year in high school. My mother Refused to let me sit around the house and get fatter all summer, so she talked to my uncle who works in the school system and found out about this program called Upward Bound. We went to an interest meeting, and to say I was horrified would be putting it mildly. I was expected to LIVE with a bunch of other kids for six months of the summer, AND go to class? *YEECH* the only benefit that could have been gotten from this was the fact that it was held on a college campus, a BEAUTIFUL college campus, and I would be away from mom for a whole ten weeks. *sighs* plus...it was really cheap... so I went. At the final meeting before they sent us off into academic hell... my mther ran into one of her girlhood friends... they have lived right across the street from each other and they went into tales of the 'old neighborhood'. My mom's friend had her oldest child with her, a girl who LOOKED to be around 20.. maybe 21. She introduced me to her, and I was shocked when I found out that this made-up, too grown looking girl was ONLY 15, a year YOUNGER than me. Humph. And that was how me & Nee first met.

MJW was at the program too, trying to make himself more brillant and prepare for the next year of his Catholic School. *Sighs* I honestly DON"T remember how we met, and the first really clear memory I have was of me gazing at him *uttterly* crushed out as he was working on a computer. My roommate KNEW I was interested in the boy... and she did something remarkably stupid that forced me to talk to him. We talked... and we hated each other. *laughs* we actually argued evverytime the other opened his/her mouth. Somehow...me & Nee met him...and we started hanging out...at least for that first summer.

The school year after that, me and Nee got much closer.. and I THINK me & MJW tried to have relationship. *shakes head* He was a cold & closed off person then and I THRIVE on attention and affection. so clearly..the whole relationship thing just didn't work. But I was head over ears & heels in love. I was in love with him a couple of ways south of totally *laughs* god. it is sad & funny and amazing how much I loved him. *sighs* annnnyyyywwayyyy.... during that school year I lost my virginity. And even today.. I still wish that i could have lost it with him. *sighs* annnnywwaaayyyy...

The Next Summer at Upward Bound we really bonded....we managed to take all of our classes together, and managed to be the SMARTEST folx at the program. In ANYTHING academic.. one of us was at the top...and that was on the occasions that we didn't tie. Folx always accused us of cheating...and we took it on ourselves to separte ourselves while taking tests or whatever. And we STILL blew everyone else out of the water. Than is when they first began to call us the Trio. *laughs* UB (Upward Bound) had a quiz show program called Q-Up, and the most popluar matches were the ones in which we had to go against each other. *laughs* yet we STILL managed to blow everyone else out of the water. *sighs* That was the bonding summer....

Then... the NEXT school year.. *thinks* Me & MJW were still in our on again off again strange ass love thang... nee was whipping through the men like white on rice (have I mentioned that the girl is FIONE too??) and we managed to start a tradion of getting together at someones house.. usually MJW's and baking the sweetest... gooeiest.. high suger high fat high cholesterol chocolate chip cookies imaginable.... eating them alll and trpping off of our OWN sugar high. *laughs* and that brings me to our final summer.

We were seniors in Upward Bound. We were bad-asses in general. We were so tight it made our teachers MAD at us. *laughs* SO we set for ourselves a final challenge. We would do EVERYTHING offered that last year. And STILL manage to get the best grades and be MVP's in Q-UP. Okay.. maybe you aren't understanding what we were doing. acadmeically were were going through a 16 week curriculum in 10 weeks. Taking *thinks* Chemistry, Algerbra 3, Trig/geometry, Latin, Advanced Honors English (a class of 8...guess who three of the 8 were?), Biology, and Spanish. in additon, we still had to study for Q-Up, and we were tutors for the lower level classes. Okay.... on TOP of that... we were all in Dance, the poetry group, the choir, photography, and the volunteer T/C (tutor counselor group) MJW & Nee were also doing step (which I STILL can't do), and I was in a Creative Arts class. Okay.... so say we were some BUSY ass people was puttig it mildly... becaue not only did we plan on DOING all this.....we wanted to be the BEST that had everdone it. That is when we created our call & Response..... someone would say *rolling tongue* TRIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIOOOOOOOOOOOO! and the other two would respond " WE LATTTTTTTTTTE!!!' *laughs* we were always running from one side of the campus to the other..doing something. *grins* We got away with more stuff -staying out after curfew .. MJW chillin! in the girls dorm...us chillin in the guys dorm..stuff that got other folx kicked OUT of the program...but no one.. not even the other students minded. *laughs* During the awards show that they have at the end of the year.... They told the three of us to walk up on stage, and we were up there for at LEAST 15 min as they presented us with all the awards we had gotten. *smiles* I think that was the high point of my acadmeic/social career.


*shakes head* We were....amazing. I think that they still are... He just graduated with a degree in Nursing.... She graduated pre-med and got accpeted to a pretty good Med School in PA. Me? *sighs* I'm here.... not dong much it seems.... *shakes head* I don't know.... I feel like they are blazing stars...and I am a bottle rocket. We were utterly brilliant & wonderful & beuatiful and I think they still are, while I have tarnished into something so NOT Trio.... I don't knnow if I even wanat to be. I was always the hub of the Trio.. *laughs* Nee & MJW rarely talked during the school year, but I was always in touch with the both of them....and I wonder if I have tarnished .. will the Trio fall apart? Or will it becom the Duo... of them two?

She talked to MJW a few days ago. He said that he wasn't mad at me.. nor did he hate me... nor did I do anything to him.... but he was just having a hard time in school so he decided to focus on his studies and forget about keeping in contact with folx. *frowns* I have to accpet that as true.. but still. shit. email takes a couple of minutes. I don't know....maybe I'm too sensetive.... I heard from Nee on occasion..enough to know that she was still alive & having a hard go of it, but doing well. *shakes head* I think that says something about the level of the friendship that I thought we (me & MJW ) had....hm. well... I need to go and do some work now..so

Stay Jazzed.

No comments: