Monday, June 6, 2005

deaths, weddings, births......

Hmm... seems like I've suprised quite a few people in the fact that I've never been to a funeral.....but then, I'm lucky in that not many people around me have died....
1) My greatgranpa died when I was about 5? 6? - I didn't go, as my stepfather thought I was too young. I can't remember if my mom went - but I doubt it.
2) My aunt - I loved my auntie, she died when I was around  8 or 9, and I wasn't allowed to go to her funeral either.
3) My greatgamma - she dies when I was *thinks* 20? - it was finals week and my mom told me that I was NOT coming the 16 hours home for a funeral.
4) One of my friends brothers died....I think that I went to his wake, but not the funeral. I was 6 then.


I guess that to me/us - funerals aren't that big of a deal. The spirit is already gone, the person is already dead - witnessing their last resting place isn't really THAT crucial. My mother and I talk about her funeral all the time - she doesn't WANT one. She's still muslim, so no embalming, no 3K coffin - just a shroud and a pinebox.  Me? I want to be cremated and spread into the Atlantic.  C wants to be cremated - he hasn't quite decided what to do with the ashes. I always tell him that I'm going to get him turned into a diamond......we are all very - comfortable with death, I suppose is the best way to put it. I've accepted the fact that when I die, and if I have all my faculities still intact, I'm ALWAYS going to feel like I died too early. Sooo.......with that awareness - it's like, when it's my time, it's my time. It's gonna suck no matter what.


That made me start thinking though - I've never been to a funeral, only been to one birth (besides mine, and even then I was only *thinks* 8?) and I've been to ONE 'classic' wedding besides my own. I went to all of my mom's weddings, of course (3) but - as they were all Muslim weddings, it was a whole different kind of process.


I haven't been to hardly any of those 'life events' really - I guess I've been kind of lucky that way.


 




 


It's Monday. Bllegghh... a nasty rainy Monday too - and it's cold as HELL in my office. Warmish outside though - which is nice. Tonight is the first swimming lesson - I'm all excited and stuff. My hair's getting lighter - I think I might end up as a strawberry blond. Very strawberry.


Okay - stuffing my face now - maybe more later.

No comments: